|DESIGN WITH LOVE, LIFE WITH WOOD
International Furniture Design Competition Asahikawa 2002
|Asahikawa, is located in the center of Hokkaido, the northernmost island of Japan, and is situated in lat. 43 degrees N. and long. 142 degrees E. It is rich in nature and blessed with four distinct and splendid seasons. Its population is about 360,000. Moreover, Asahikawa is located at the foot of Mt. Taisetsu National Park which is the largest mountain park in Japan, where most of the mountains range about two thousand meters in height. Asahikawa has gradually developed as a trading center of high quality lumber including lumber harvested in Hokkaido.
Asahikawa has expanded as a synthetic furniture-producing district which mainly produces cabinets, chairs, and tables by using abundant lumber resources and excellent manufacturing skills. The furniture produced in Asahikawa is valued not only in Japan but worldwide.
In order to produce good furniture, superior designs are needed. We will hold the "International Furniture Design Competition Asahikawa 2002", our fifth competition, seeking fabulous furniture designs to make life more comfortable.
It is our hope that this competition will enhance the relationship between man and wood, promote the quality of design, and strengthen the link between different furniture-producing districts throughout the world. We also hope that wooden furniture designed by you will build a great and valuable bridge between designers and users, between designers and makers, and between you and Asahikawa.
RULES AND CONDITIONS
(1) Theme: Wooden furniture
1. Works (cabinets, tables, chairs and others) entered must be newly created and previously unpublished. "Unpublished"means that the work has never appeared on the market as a product, has never appeared in a newspaper, magazine, or exhibition, and has never been a winner in other competitions before the sponsor announces the results of the main selection process. (Please refrain from entering this competition and other competitions at the same time.) A work which has appeared in students' exhibitions is considered unpublished.
2. Works are considered"wooden"when their major component parts are made of wood.
Any individual, group or business can qualify.
(3) Number of entries
No limit is set on the number of entries from any one applicant.
(4) Registration fee
- Registration by Internet
5,000 YEN for each work that you enter in the competition.
- Registration by mail
6,000 YEN for each work that you enter in the competition.
1. If you prefer paying the fee by a card, you may use your American Express, Diners Club, JCB, MasterCard or VISA Cards. Please provide the necessary information on the application form. (If you register on the Internet, follow the instructions on our website.) Please note your application will be processed within one week of receiving it. For entries from other countries, the exchange rate at the time we handle your application will be applied to the payment.
2. Applicants outside Japan may also use an international postal money order. Please make it payable to the International Furniture Design Fair Asahikawa Organizing Committee.
-The fee is non-refundable.
-You will be informed of the registration of your application after we receive both your complete application and registration fee.
(6) Copyrights and patents
1. Copyrights, patents, and all other related rights for the entered works are reserved by the applicants. It is therefore expected that the applicant will make an effort to protect these rights. Please apply for copyrights and industrial patents before submitting your entry, if you think it is necessary.
2. As for the works entered in the Final, all rights to the displays, the use in official catalogues, and publicity for the International Furniture Design Fair Asahikawa 2002 and other related exhibits are reserved by the sponsor. The sponsor also has priority in negotiating with the applicant when commercializing the works entered in the Final.
(7) Official languages
The official languages to be used during the competition will be English and Japanese.
All entries will be accepted until Friday, January 18, 2002
* Entries on the Internet will be accepted until the midnight of January 18, 2002 in Japanese time.
(1) Preliminary selection process
1. Date: Mid-February, 2002
2. Thirty-five works will be chosen to proceed to the next stage on the basis of the submitted photos and the product outline given in the application.
3. Applicants will be notified of the results of the selection process through the mail or e-mail by early-March, 2002.
4. The applicants whose works are selected for main evaluation are asked to forward the actual works by the end of April, 2002. They will be informed of the date and how to forward the works after preliminary selection. The sponsor of IFDA will bear all costs of transporting the works. If the works are not received by the deadline, the applicant will be disqualified.
¡ù Furniture makers in Asahikawa are available to help as much as possible to make the works which are selected for the main evaluation if the applicant wishes. (The contract will be made between the applicant and the makers.)
(2) Main selection process
1. Date: Mid-May, 2002
2. Judges will examine the 35 actual works sent to Japan and they can, at their discretion, eliminate any piece which they believe should not be entered in the Final. From the remaining finalists, the judges will choose eight winners.
3. All the 35 applicants will be notified of the results of the main selection process through the mail or e-mail by the end of May, 2002.
(3) No explanation of the results will be provided.
(4) Selection Committee members
Chairman of Selection Committee: Toshiyuki Kita, designer (Japan)
Judges: Motomi Kawakami, designer (Japan)
Kunio Shibuya, designer, professor (Japan)
Hans Sandgren Jakobsen, designer (Denmark)
Yrjo WIHERHEIMO, designer (Finland)
Gold Leaf 1 3,000,000 YEN
Silver Leaf 2 1,000,000 YEN (each)
Bronze Leaf 5 300,000 YEN (each)
Note: Tax is included in the awards.
Dates: July 3-31, 2002
Place: Design Gallery (Asahikawa City)
Besides the above exhibition, the works may be on display in travelling exhibitions and other related exhibitions.
Inquiries about the application and others should be faxed, mailed or e-mailed to:
Asahikawa Furniture Industry Cooperative Office
10-chome, 2-jo, Nagayama, Asahikawa, Hokkaido, 079-8412 Japan
Phone: 81-166-47-0655 / Fax: 81-166-48-4749
We will not deal with inquiries by phone.
E-mail is the best way to contact our office.
in collaborazione con