|BIENALE BRNO 2002
|1 Exhibition categories
- cultural (arts, sports, tourism, entertainment, exhibitions)
- commercial (trade fair)
- highlighted theme: social (with special concern for socially handicapped people and groups)
B. Corporate identity, promotional and advertising graphics
- corporate identity (companies, institutions, cities); trademarks, logos, symbols; corporate printed matter; stationery, business cards; annual reports; yearbooks; design manuals etc.
- orientation, communication systems for public space; direction, street, and building markers etc.; public transport markings, maps and timetables; pictograms etc.
- promotional design; leaflets, prospectuses, commercial catalogues, advertisements; invitation cards; calendars etc.
- other applications – large, three dimensional and experimental projects, in photographic documentation only (e.g. banners or billboards as A2 prints); if a project includes a signature tune, video clip or display of experimental visualization – the printed material can be extended by a video cassette in VHS format, CD-ROM or other, for example a computer sequence.
The exhibition will not include: book, magazine, CD and cassette covers; graphic design and illustrations for books, newspapers and journals; packaging design; labels and stickers; postage stamps; exhibition and TV design – unless being part of one of the category 2 projects (above).
Those who wish to participate should apply using the enclosed entry form (available also on www.bienale-brno.cz). They may apply on their own behalf; or on behalf of an organization of which they are members; or through a publishing house, agency or company with whom they work.
3 Number of submissions
Each participant may enter a maximum of 4 submissions. Category 2 unit will be considered as one item. The total area of all exhibits must not exceed the limit of 3 square metres. Submitted works should preferably be printed. Marks and symbols should be sent in as photographs or printed matter, their dimensions being approx. 15 x 15 cm, the dimensions of the documentation (cat. 2) should be approx. 30 x 40 cm. Only works conceived or created between 1998-2001 will be accepted.
4 Delivery of submissions
Each submitted exhibit should bear a label including data identical with that in the Entry Form. Two copies of each work shall be sent, unframed and unmounted, in a hard protective cover together with a signed entry form and photographs (See /5/). The exhibits must reach the organiser by 31 January 2002 at the latest. Any package burdened by any outstanding customs or postal fees shall not be accepted.
5 Exhibition promotion and catalogue
It is desired that each entrant provide colour slides, or possibly CD-ROM of
two or three exhibits to assist the organizer in promotion of the exhibition. A condition of entry is that the organizer is entitled to freely use any submitted photographs and/or slides (including the making of photo/slide reproductions and video recordings of the exhibits) in order to promote the exhibition, produce the catalogue, and for educational purposes. The illustrated catalogue, published by the organizer, will be available to each entrant at a 50% discount.
6 Return of exhibits
The works entered for the exhibition shall not be returned nor insured, unless a special request is received from the entrant concerned, and then only after the full payment of all related costs. The prize winning and some other selected works shall become part of the Moravian Gallery’s collection. Each exhibitor shall receive a certificate of participation after the exhibition.
7 Selection of exhibits
The Pre-selection Committee shall make selections from the submitted works in accordance with its professional experience, and with regard to the entrant having complied with the terms of participation, and space available.
The works on display at the 20th International Biennale of Graphic Design Brno 2002 shall be judged by the International Jury that shall award the Grand Prix (the Golden "B"); and three Gold medals in both of the exhibition categories. In addition to these, the jury shall also confer the "ICOGRADA Excellence Award" and other special prizes. Upon conclusion of the Biennale, the Critics’ Award shall be awarded following a vote by journalists and critics.
- Karel Aubrecht, CZ
- Tomá? Fassati, CZ
- Václav Houf, CZ
- Kaliopi Chamonikolasová, CZ
- Jan Jiskra, CZ
- Klára Kvízová-Krejzková, CZ
- Ale? Najbrt, CZ
- Tomá? Machek, CZ
- Zdenek Primus, CZ
- Marta Sylvestrová, CZ
- Katalin Bakos, Hungary
- Michel Bouvet, France
- Julia Chiu, Japan
- Uwe Loesch, Germany
- Iva Janáková, Czech Republic
- Karel Mí‰ek, Czech Republic
- Vaughan Oliver, Great Britain
- Péter Pócs, Hungary
- Michael Rock, U. S. A.
- Guy Schockaert, Belgium – Honorary Member
- Ralph Schraivogel, Switzerland
- Zden?k Ziegler, Czech Republic
Board of the Organization Committee
- Jan Rajlich sen., graphic designer, Brno (Honorary Chair)
- Ale? Najbrt, graphic designer, Prague (Chair)
- Tomá? Machek, graphic designer, Prague (Vice-Chair)
- Karel Kobosil, Director of the Design Centre CR, Brno (Vice-Chair)
- Kaliopi Chamonikola, art historian, Brno, Director of the Moravian Gallery
and the Brno Biennale
- Marta Sylvestrová, art historian, Brno, Curator of the Brno Biennale
- Miroslava Pluháèková, head of exhibitions and publications production,
Moravian Gallery, Brno, Organization Secretary
Closing date for entries
31. 1. 2002
in collaborazione con