|SURFACE AS ULTRASKIN
|THEME OF THE COMPETITION:
Surface. From architecture to fashion.
Electronic technology and electronic language bring extensive changes in consciousness in culture. They set up new concepts of space and body. These new processes of thinking and living are constantly transforming into new dynamic and time contexts. Dispersion of information systems coincide with the development of new urban paradigm which builds on individuality and technological changes. These proceses change the planning and realisations of architectural forms.
Research of the role of technology in the reconcilation of body (as a living organism) and architecture means liberation of human body from the immovable spacial envelop and the spacial determination.
The search for a dynamic functional envelop of global society within radical changed relationships between local/global, real/virtual, inside/outside, organical/mechanical, natural/artificial, object/subject, leads to a much needed combined, open, responsive and flexible system and of architecture form.
Architecture surfaces are becoming some sort of fashion. Ultraskin is an interactive surface in many ways. It becomes media membranes which reestablish new dialogues with the context at large. New fashion enveleops emerge which more and more move closer to the body. They suggest new definitions of personal and institutional spaces. Architecture becomes a sensitive, flexible, and interactive communication layer - an ultraskin.
BASIC INFORMATION ABOUT THE COMPETITION:
International competition is opened particularly for young architects, fashion designers, creators from the field of visual arts and others. The members of jury, the reporter, the festival organisers and their close relatives can not take part in the competition
AIMS OF THE COMPETITION:
- to present new concepts of interfaces between space and body; new urban, architecture and fashion surfaces for parallel incorporations in material and virtual networks
- to develop new definitions of comprehension of public and private space
- to emphasize and to judge the influence of contemporary communication and information technolgy on social and spatial transformations
- to present practical examples of architecture or fashion surfaces as inteligent membrans, as culturological phenomena of space
- to show the possibilities of intersecting the architecture, fashion and information technology
- to popularize architecture as an important segment of society
registration: till June, 31st 2002
registration form (see Word document on http://www.archnewmedia.org)
competition fee: 15 eur
HYPO ALPE ADRIA BANK d.d.
deadline: August, 30th 2002
address: Monochrome, Poljanska cesta 6, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia
(with postscript: 2nd International Festival Architecture and New Media: ULTRASKIN, Competition - don't open)
The competition entries must be send in the VHS format (system PAL), on the CD-rom (system PC) or as a photography. The explanation of the project must be in English, not longer then the paper A4.
1st award 500 eur
2nd award 350 eur
3rd award 250 eur
Up to five special mentions will also be announced.
Competition entries will be judged by international jury composed by 7 members.
the president of the jury:
1. Prof. mag. Peter Gabrijelcic, Faculty of Architecture, Ljubljana
members of the jury:
2. Marco Brizzi, architect, iMage - Institute for Communication in Architecture, Florence
3. Zdenka Badovinac, directress of Museum of Modern Art, Ljubljana
4. Ivan Redi, Ortlos Architects, Graz
5. Almira Sadar, fashion designer, Faculty of Natural Science and Technology,
Department of Textiles, Ljubljana
6. Gary Chang, architect, Hongkong
7. representative of the general sponsor
deadline for the jury: September, 20th 2002
deadline for the announcement of the awards: October, 24th 2002
deadline fot the payment of the awards: November, 8th 2002
PRESENTATION OF THE AWARDED WORKS:
exhibition of the awarded works: October 24th to 27th 2002
(The organizers are fully responsible for the way of presentation of awarded works)
Awarded works will be exhibited from October 24th to 27th in Museum of Modern Art in Ljubljana. All awarded works will also take place in the competition for 7th International festival for Architecture in Video (Florence, 2003) and will be candidate for the Architecture Media Player exhibition.
in collaborazione con