fourth edition of the international prize for commissionig a building
|The prize is open to clients from all over the world who have commissioned a freelance architect for a work, the quality of which can be traced back to the contribution of both the figures who have helped generate it.
Architects, enter the names of your best clients!
- 15th. April 2002: Opening of the Competition (available in www.assoarchitetti.it)
- 20th. July 2002: Last date for submitting entry forms (available in www.assoarchitetti.it)
- 20th. September 2002: Last date for submitting papers
- 12th. December 2002: Prize giving and inauguration of exhibition
- 12th. December 2002 9th. March 2003: Exhibition of projects awarded or selected by
- the jury, at the Palladian Basilica, Vicenza (Italy).
One of the participants during the last edition of the Prize, Gae Aulenti wrote:
“ A good project originates from close collaboration between the client and the designer.
The clearer the client’s input, all the better can he specify the initial conditions which will then correspond precisely to his well-thought out requirements. In this case, then, the work of the architect will be all the clearer in its objectives and therefore more easily achieved.”
ARCHITECTS AWARD PRIZES TO CLIENTS - A PRIZE IN REVERSE!
The association Liberi Architetti ALA-Assoarchitetti is promoting a prize in which the architects, for once, award the clients. Both Italian and foreign clients of large and small works are concious that quality is sought after as much on “minor” occasions as on grand ones, and that a clear definition of the roles of the client and the actual professional, and the relations between them, should be as widely known as possible. In fact, the idea for this prize was first conceived of within this framework; not so much in view of the final results, as of the way in which success can be initially generated.
A VARIED JURY - DIFFERENT POINTS OF VIEW CONFRONT EACH OTHER
The selection of the jury for the prize has also been planned within with a view to comparing different roles and abilities, including the participation of internationally famous architects, such as Odile Deck and Boris Podrecca, the writer Stanislao Nievo, one of the founders of WWF, art historians, journalists and businessmen.
The jury for 2002 is made up as follows:
Stanislao Nievo, writer and environmentalists, as Chairman;
Cesare Maria Casati, editor of the international review L’ARCA;
Odile Deck, French architect;
Bruno Gabbiani, president of the association ALA-Assoarchitetti;
Giovanni Gabetti, Italian real estate agent
Richard Haslam, English art historian;
Boris Podrecca, Austrian architect;
Miguel Angel Roja, Argentinian architect;
Mario Struzzi, Italian architect;
Roberto Tretti, director of the Centro Studi per le Libere Professioni.
PROMOTORS AND SPONSORS
Promotors of this initiative: Ala-Assoachitetti and “L’ARCA”, the international review of architecture and design.
Main sponsor: Caoduro Lucernari S.p.a.
Sponsors: Graniti Fiandre e Rizzani de Eccher.
Collaborators: Jolly Hotels, Trend, Fosnova Gruppo Disano, Barausse, Laston.
UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF:
A representative of the Italian Government at the European Commission
The Italian Committee of CICT-UNESCO
The President of the Italian Republic
The Ministry for Infrastructure and Transport
The Ministry for Productive Activity
The Ministry for Cultural Affairs and Activities
The Regione del Veneto
The City of Vicenza
Vicenza, City of UNESCO
ANCI the National Association of Italian Town Councils
Trade federations, including Inarcassa, and Consilp-Confprofessioni
The Associazione Italiana Marmomacchine
IIDD Italian Institute for Design and Handicap
The Industrial Association of the Province of Vicenza Building construction section
Other sponsors still being obtained from leading Italian and European organisations
THE JURY WILL AWARD:
- The Dedalo Minosse International Prize for Commissioning a Building 2002;
- The Dedalo Minosse International Prize for Commissioning a Building 2002, (under 40s);
- The ALA-Assoarchitetti prize, to a client who has commissioned a work from an Italian architect;
- The ALA-Assoarchitetti under- 40s prize, to a client who has commissioned a work from a young Italian architect.
There will also be awarded:
- The Caoduro Lucernari Special Prize;
- The Graniti Fiandre Special Prize;
Other recognition will be awarded by the Regione del Veneto, the Provincia and City of Vicenza, the Vicenza Camera di Commercio, the Associazione Italiana Marmomacchine, IIDD: The Italian Institute for Design and Handicap, and other Sponsors.
SUMMARY OF 2001 EDITION
The reply to the 2001 edition was remarkable:
- 7.700 visitors of the exhibition;
- 18 projects exhibited;
- 120 clients coming from 12 European countries;
- 45.000 catalogues delivered with “l’Arca” review around the world, 7.000 in Italy delivered by Assoarchitetti;
- articles written about the Prize in the main italian architectural reviews, in national and local newspapers
- quotations in hundred web sites.
ALA- Assoarchitetti - Secretariat Office
Via Leonardo da Vinci, 14
Tel. and fax. +39. 0444.235476
in collaborazione con