|RECUPERATION OF THE GAUDINIAN CHARACTERISTICS OF THE CELLAR IN IGUALADA
Architectural Award Cèsar Martinell 2002
|1. ORGANIZING COMMITTEE
The organizing committees are Associació Cultural Cèsar Martinell (NIF G 43481654) (Cultural Association Cèsar Martinell) located in Pinell de Brai, Catalonia, Spain together with Col·legi d'Arquitectes de Catalunya (Catalan Architect Association).
2. AIM OF THE AWARD: RECUPERATION OF THE GAUDINIAN CHARACTERISTICS OF THE CELLAR IN IGUALADA
The architectural heritage left by Cèsar Martinell i Brunet may be considered from a wide view: as a case of abandonment, as a case of a doubtful location while others buildings present a maintenance trouble. Yet, these buildings are part of the Catalan agricultural modernism treasure.
This award is hence aimed at providing possible solutions for the preservation of these buildings, which all in all, at the beginning of the twentieth century, had played an active role within Catalan economy and, at the same time, making the upcoming generations aware of Martinell's work. This award is thus summoned annually, being the present year framed within the International Gaudí Year
3. KIND OF AWARD
The aim of this competition is to make a preceding study for the restoration of the old AGRICULTURAL SYNDICATE OF OIL MILL located in Igualada (Anoia) and which Cèsar Martinell had designed in 1921. Today, the future use of this building, owned by the agricultural syndicate of Igualada, is still unknown. However, its use would depend on the possibilities of its recuperation. At the same time, the future uses of the building may be included in the project.
This award is open to all architects who have obtained their Architecture degree during the last 5 years as well as to those students in their last year. Inscription can be individual or in groups (3 people maximum); each participant can only hand over one project. One or more architects, historians, or art historians, that is to say, people who know about architectural heritage on the whole, can form teams.
4.1-The association will publish the bases for the award in the magazine Informació i debat of Col·legi Oficial d'Arquitectes de Catalunya (Catalan Architects Association), in the main newspapers in Tarragona, Barcelona, Lleida and Girona, in Internet (www.martinell.org), and in Universities.
4.2- Everyone interested will have to hand the application form, via mail and including aknowlegdement of receipt, to Associació Cultural Cèsar Martinell, by means of a proper request (example in the annex). In this application form participants have to write down: name and surname, address, telephone number, ID number (or driving license), as well as the degree certificate (given by the professional college or student certificate) and the payment receipt (registration money) before 14:30 on July the 31st 2002.
4.3-As soon as the Associació receives applications, acknowledgement of receipt along with a registration number will be sent back.
4.4- The organizational entity is Associació Cultural Cèsar Martinell 22, Carretera Street, 43594 El Pinell de Brai (Terra Alta).
4.5- Registration will become effective after payment of 90 to account 2073 0115 88 01 00048294. Participants can also pay by credit card (VISA) in www.martinell.org (Architectural Award Cèsar Martinell). This amount of money will be paid back to the participants once the project is delivered.
4.6- Registrations can also be delivered via e-mail to: email@example.com.
Without prejudice to legally established professional incompatibilities, the following personal situations will be considered incompatible in order to participate:
- Members of the jury, their relatives (until 3rd generation), and their collaborators.
- Members of the organizational entity or from the Col·legi d'Arquitectes de Catalunya (Catalan Architects Association).
-Registration: July the 31st 2002
-Number of participant assignment: August the 21st 2002
-Project delivery: October the 27th 2002
-Verdict of the jury and handing over of prizes: November the 22nd 2002 (to be arranged)
7. DOCUMENTATION GIVEN TO THE PARTICIPANTS
The Associació Cultural Cèsar Martinell or any of the five districts in Catalonia of the Col·legi d'Arquitectes de Catalunya will provide the rules of the contest.
Besides, files from the Historical Archive of Col·legi d'Arquitectes de Catalunya in Barcelona can be consulted. Participants will be able to consult the files as long as they still follow the established rules in the Archive. The information available is the following:
- Cooperative oil mill and cellar project in Igualada (1921):
- C216/102 H 108 H /10/102, plans / grease-proof paper of the location, sections E 1:100,
- Cubes under vats sections E 1:100,
- Ground plan and façade E 1:100,
- Cornice detail E 1:10,
- Elevation and section, vats detail E 1:20, E 1:20 and 1:50
- Gate detail (elevation and ground plan E 1:20).
- Cistern sketch, ground plan, elevation and details, ground plan, lateral façade and details, façades, location, cornice detail, gate and vats.
- Ground plans copy, general and mill, sections:
- H 101 H / 2 / reg. 2015: ground plans and foundations, general and mill E 1:100 with Indian ink on greaseproof paper 105.5 x 46 cm.
- H 101 H / 5 / reg. 2016: elevation façades with Indian ink on greaseproof paper 86 x 60.5 cm
- H 101 H / 5 / reg. 2017: ground plan, roof projection, section, and elevation E 1:20 façades with Indian ink on greaseproof paper 80.5 x 47 cm.
- H 101 H / 2 / reg. 2018: ground plans with pencil on paper 105x 36 cm.
- H 101 H / 3 / reg. 2019: engine-room section E 1:100 with pencil on paper 51x 36.5 cm.
- H 101 H / 2 / reg. 2020: sections with pencil on paper 92 x 40 cm.
For those who are interested a dossier with the basic documentation will be available in:
Arxiu Històric del COAC (Historical Archive)
1, dels Arcs street 3rd floor 4th door
Telephone: 933 067 843
Information is also available in:
Igualada Town Hall
1, Ajuntament square
Telephone: 938 031 950
Agricultural Syndicate of Igualada
4, Portal street
Telephone: 938 030 917
The building can be visited by appointment with Agricultural Syndicate from Monday to Friday, from 10.00 h to 12.00 h and from 15.00 h to 18.00 h. On Saturdays, Sundays and public holiday visits will be negotiated.
8. TECHNICAL DOCUMENTATION TO DELIVER
Projects will be handed over on Din A-1 rigid format papers, all them with oblong orientation and 4 rigid papers as a maximum. The papers will include:
1. - Descriptive project about the restoration of the Igualada Cellar and Oil Mill.
2. - Graphic work
3. - The work will also be presented in a CD (JPG format).
9. PROJECTS DELIVERY
All the documentation guarantees anonymity. In case of the infringement of such anonymity, the participant will be excluded from the contest. Each participant has to have an alias, which has to be appear on the outside of the packet together with:
ASSOCIACIÓ CULTURAL CÈSAR MARTINELL
carrer de laCarretera, 22. 43594 El Pinell de Brai (Terra Alta)
PREMI D'ARQUITECTURA CÈSAR MARTINELL2001
Together with the documentation, participants have to deliver an opaque envelope, closed and sealed with sealing wax, with the chosen theme written on it. Participants will provide nameand surname, address, telephone and signature on a spare paper which will be included into the envelope. Participants will decide whether to keep or not their anonymity once they know the results.
Projects have to be sent before October the 27th 2002 at 12 o'clock to:
ASSOCIACIÓ CULTURAL CÈSAR MARTINELL
carrer de laCarretera, 22. 43594 El Pinell de Brai (Terra Alta)
Warning: Only projects sent before 27 October the 27th will be accepted.
10. CRITERIA TO EVALUATE
The following criteria, weighted and decreasingly ordered, will be taken into account:
a) Respect for the originality of Martinell's structure in the building, as well as the projection of the Gaudinian characteristics 8 points
b) Innovation 7 points
c) Quality and functionality of the project 6 points
d) Constructive rationality and working cost 5 points
These are the criteria to be uniquely considered.
Once registration period is over, there will be a nine-day interval for consultation. There will be ten extra days so as to participants will receive the answers to their doubts.
The jurors will be:
- Mrs. Maria Martinell i Taxonera, Martinell's daughter.
- The Dean from Col·legi d'Arquitectes de Catalunya or his/her representative.
- Mr. Cèsar Ramirez Martinell, architect, representing Associació Cultural Cèsar Martinell.
- Presidents of the Col·legi d'Arquitectes de Catalunya from Tarragona, Lleida, Girona, Barcelona and l'Ebre or their representatives.
- Mr. Francesc Xavier Asarta i Ferraz, president of l'Agrupació d'Arquitectes per a la Defensa i la Intervenció en el Patrimoni Arquitectònic (ADDIPA).
- Mrs. Raquel Lacuesta Contreras, Doctor in Art's History.
- Mr. Carles Crespo Veigas, municipal architect in Igualada.
- The president of the Associació Cultural Cèsar Martinell, who will take the minutes of the jury's decisions and who will not be a full member.
If any of these members is not able to attend, s/he may name a substitute.
Jury's decision will be irrevocable.
- 1st prize: 5.000 and a commemorative plaque
- 2nd prize: 1.500 and a commemorative plaque by courtesy of Igualada Town Hall
- 3rd prize: 750 and a commemorative plaque by courtesy of CoAC
- 4 honourable mentions
14. JURY DECISION
The jurors will meet to decide on the winners on November the 6th 2002 at 10:30 in the morning, in Barcelona CoAC. There, they will analyse and mark the projects.
The prize will not be given in case there are not participants.
15. PRIZES GRANTING
Award day will be based on the date in which Cèsar Martinell died (November the 11th 1973). On November the 6th 2002, participants will know the date and place of the prizes granting. Prizes will be given during a dinner, attendance to which has to be confirmed when registering.
16. INTELLECTUAL ROYALTIES
Projects will be exposed on the granting day, and in Igualada expositon will take place on the requested dates; later on, the projects will be exhibited in different Architecture schools and universities in Spain and Europe. Projects are under their authors' intellectual royalties.
Non-rewarded projects will be returned to their authors in 45 days time after the granting.
Authorship will be respected. Yet, the winners will be able transfer the royalties exploitation to Associació Cèsar Martinell, previous agreement between the parts.
The money for the 1st prize will constitute payment on account for the restoration of Igualada Cellar and Oil Mill.
in collaborazione con